Suzuki Piano Teaching Background
- 1980 – Began teaching Suzuki Piano at the McGill Conservatory
- 1981 – Met Dr. Shinichi Suzuki at the International Suzuki Teachers’ Conference in Amherst, Massachusetts
- 1983-86 – Teacher mentorship with co-founders of the Suzuki Piano Method Drs. S. Suzuki and H. Kataoka. First Canadian to graduate from the Talent Education Institute in Matsumoto, Japan.
- 1986 – Suzuki Piano Teacher Trainer through the Suzuki Association of the Americas
- 1988-2004 – Artistic Director of the Suzuki Piano Program, MRC Conservatory, Calgary.
- 2004-present – Continue teaching through my home-based studio in Calgary.
- 1986-present – Work with hundreds of children, their parents, and teachers in workshops, institutes, conferences, established programs, and mentorships throughout Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Thesis title: Authenticity, Teaching Relationships, & Suzuki, Graduate Division of Education Research, Faculty of Education, University of Calgary, Alberta
- Maître ès Arts (M.A.) Musicologie, Université de Montréal, Montréal, P.Q.
- Bachelor of Music – Piano Performance, University of Regina, Regina, Saskatchewan
- Suzuki Piano Teacher Certificate, Talent Education Institute, Matsumoto, Japan
Areas of Expertise
- Piano Pedagogy
- Music Studio Pedagogy
- Project-Based Learning
- Education Philosophy & Philosophy of Life
- Professional Development & Lifelong Learning
- 2018 – Music Teaching Award, Schulich School of Music, McGill University
- 2018 – Award in Teaching Excellence, Students’ Union Association, U of Calgary
- 2017 – Teaching Excellence Award, Werklund School of Education, U of Calgary
- 2016 – Teaching Excellence Award, Werklund School of Education, U of Calgary
- 2017 Article of the Year, American Music Teacher Journal, Music Teachers of North America.
- 2018 Fundamentals of Piano Pedagogy: Fuelling Authentic Student Musicians from the Beginning. Springer Publications.
- 2018 PLAY What You Know & READ What You Play. Alfred Publications.
- (ND) What Every Music Teacher Needs to Know About Practising.
Published Articles in the Following Journals
- American Music Teacher
- American Suzuki Journal
- Educational Theory
- Journal of School Choice
- Philosophy of Music Education Review
- Studies in Philosophy and Education.